The Tutorial is focused on recent developments on array antennas for Satellite applications and, in particular, on active phased array antennas. Active Antennas combine antennas with active electronic components and are becoming key elements for the development of high performance and flexible communication systems. Active Antennas are expected to play a disruptive role in the development of advanced antenna systems for Onboard Satellite and Ground applications including 5G and MIMO. They can be implemented with direct radiating arrays, possibly magnified by reflectors, with lens antennas, etc. Despite their advantages, Active Antennas are complex in terms of design, manufacturing and testing.
The tutorial is providing a detailed overview on Design and Technology aspects of Active Phased Array Antennas and is composed by five parts presented by speakers with a consolidated experience in Industry and in the Academia.
Main topics presented:
– Antenna architectures (G. Toso, European Space Agency, ESA-ESTEC);
– Beamforming networks architectures (P. Angeletti, European Space Agency, ESA-ESTEC);
– Advanced manufacturing techniques for space applications (E. Menargues, Swissto12)
– Amplifiers for active phased arrays (J. Belluot, Thales AVS);
– Examples of Satellite implementations (G. Thomas, Airbus UK)